The Oamaru Intermediate School uniform fosters a sense of identity, belonging and pride in our pupils. It ensures a consistently high standard of dress is worn by pupils throughout the day and provides a cost-effective and practical dress code.
- All students that attend OIS are required to wear black leather lace-up school shoes.
- Canvas and other casual shoes, which are advertised as 'school shoes', are not suitable.
- The black leather lace-up shoes are compulsory for students attending our tech classes.
- Along with the shoes, in term 4, girls are required to wear white ankle socks and boys continue wearing the grey knee-length socks (no stripes).
- Students are all required to participate in physical education, PE, lessons as it is one of the essential learning areas. During these lessons, students are expected to wear the OIS PE uniform; OIS red t-shirt, OIS navy shorts.
- This term while we are participating in a number of athletic lessons it is advised to wear sports shoes as well.
- If your child cannot wear the correct PE gear, they must bring in another change of clothes to wear.
- If your child cannot participate in PE lessons you need to send an email or send a note into the classroom teacher.
Additional uniform information
- Caps are available from the school office at a cost of $8. It is expected that everyone wears a sunhat in terms 1 and 4. Any style of plain navy or black sunhat can be worn. The only other hat allowed is the 'I am Hope' hats.
- Jewellery is not acceptable, except for a watch and a small plain stud in each ear.
- Nail polish, makeup and obvious dyed hair are not permitted.
- Long hair needs to be tied back with a plain band - red, navy, black or brown.
- All clothing, footwear, etc must be clearly named and legibly marked in an obvious place with the child's name. Named items are quickly returned to their owners.
- Sutherland's Mens & Ladieswear on Thames Street is the sole provider of new uniforms for Oamaru.