By Kerry & Debbie | Posted: Thursday November 14, 2019
We will introduce our NZEI Support staff members each day this week. We are currently working towards both a collective agreement settlement for all support staff and a pay equity settlement for teacher aides, with pay equity claims for other support staff roles.
The current "Living Wage" is $21.15, 72% of teacher aides country wide are on Grade B which ranges from $17.70 - $20.69.
As support staff, we each have our own personal stories from our work. It's those real stories that we want to share with you!
Kerry Van der Sluis - Executive Officer
Hi, I am Kerry van der Sluis and I am the Executive Officer at Oamaru Intermediate School.
I have worked in school administration for 18 years, the last 10 years at OIS.
My role involves processing financial transactions for both students and school, paying our school accounts each month, completing our Annual Budget, staff payroll and much, much more!
A good percentage of my day is spent helping out with many and varied situations that arise, involving students. This could be administering medication, getting messages to students, tracking down lost uniform, calling home due to students being unwell, putting a plaster on a grazed knee or providing nail polish remover.
Many days there is not a lot of financial work completed and no two days are the same but I enjoy the varied, rewarding environment that I work in. It is satisfying to see your children grow in confidence over the two years they are at OIS, develop new friendships and leave as well-rounded teenagers.
There is a good team culture at OIS amongst the staff and Support Staff feel very valued. We look forward to your support in achieving pay equity for our Teacher Aides, who provide your children with many opportunities to thrive, through their endless skills.
Debbie Halkett - Administration Officer
I have proudly held this position for 22 years and each day is a privilege to work with, and alongside highly respected professionals. For myself, being in this job for so long shows how much I love what I do.
Each day brings its challenges, but being the first port of call in the office, Kerry and myself do our very best to provide a service with a smile on our face, and always go above and beyond to assist visitors and students with any requests they may have.
Our expectation is that all students have the very Best Manners and show Respect at all times.
My role as office administrator involves:
· Student Management System – Enrolments, updating student information and liaising with Kerry to attend to student finances
· School Attendance System – daily attendance rolls, liaising with Principal/Truancy Officer if and when required
· School Student Enrolment Register (ENROL)
· Supporting the Principal and Deputy Principals in the administration block
· School Banking
· Pastoral care of students - attending to the sick bay which is anything from dislocations and broken bones, handing out medications and general medical care, contacting parents etc
· Keeping updated records on students with serious medical needs
· Keeping all first aid kits and supplies updated
· Working alongside teachers to support them in the daily needs in the class when required
· Collating fortnightly newsletter, Weekly and Prizegiving certificates, etc
· Visitor enquiries and phone calls are constant throughout the day so interruptions are just part of our day
· Morning Tea supplies
· Second-hand Clothing Shop sales and end of year sale organisation.
It is hard to put everything down on paper as the day can be so varied.
This job is super rewarding and one that I value greatly. We put children at the centre of what we do every day. There is nothing more satisfying than watching students personal growth for the two years they're with us grow in to amazing young teenagers.